Wellington Comic Opera is bringing its version of Gilbert and Sullivan’s Pirates! to theatres in Wellington, Lower Hutt, Upper Hutt, Kapiti, and Palmerston North in May 2023. Featuring twenty-five performers under the baton of Michael Vinten and direction of Alison Hodge, this appropriately updated interpretation should delight audiences of all ages.
Performances are as follows. You can click through the links to purchase tickets. If you don’t see a link we are still setting it up. All links will be in place before the end of March.
- Lower Hutt Little Theatre, Friday 12 May at 7.30pm
- Kapiti Te Raukura, Raumati Beach, Saturday 13 May at 2.00pm
- Palmerston North Globe Theatre, Sunday 14 May at 2.00pm
- Lower Hutt Little Theatre, Wednesday 17 May at 7.30pm
- Wellington Memorial Theatre at Victoria University, Friday 19 May at 7.30pm
- Upper Hutt Whirinaki Whare Taonga (Expressions), Saturday 20 May at 7.30pm
- Upper Hutt Whirinaki Whare Taonga (Expressions), Sunday 21 May at 2.00pm
Tickets are $35 adult, $30 senior/concession, and $10 children plus booking fee.
The Cast of Pirates! 2023
- Frederick: Peter Liley
- Mabel: Matilda Wickbom
- Pirate King: William McElwee
- Samuel: Tomairangi Henare
- Major-General: David Cox
- Ruth: Shirley Kauter
- Kate: Jasmine Jessen
- Edith: Sinead Keene
- Sergeant: Richard Dean
- Ensemble (daughters, pirates, and police): Antonia Selby, Regan Gardner, Rosie Knight, Veronica Huntington, Kassandra Wang, Melody Holmes, Margaret Mabbett, Josh Long, Kwok Yi Lee, Steve Hendry, Yang Liu, Ian Graham, Brent Alcock, and Russell Tregonning
The Creative Team for Pirates! 2023
Director Alison Hodge has directed for and acted with Pocket Opera, Boutique Opera, Young and Hungry and Summer Shakespeare.
Music Director Michael Vinten has been the Wellington Chorus Master and Associate Conductor for New Zealand Opera since 1991 and has conducted for Wellington City Opera, Hamilton Operatic Society, Hawke’s Bay Opera, Wanganui Opera, and Massey University’s Conservatorium of Music, the New Zealand School of Music, Boutique Opera and Days Bay Opera.
Wellington Comic Opera has thrilled audiences across New Zealand since 1957. Throughout our history, we have put on professional quality shows relying on a number of regular performers who have had principal and sub-principal roles in national and regional opera companies and in the region’s more prominent musical societies.
We are an incorporated society. Our legal (and original) name is the Wellington Gilbert & Sullivan Society. We changed to Wellington Comic Opera in 2021.
Bookings & Enquiries
In addition to our scheduled events, we are available for bookings upon request. And if you’d like to join or help our group we’d love to hear from you. Get in touch using the contact form below.
We’re happy to answer any questions you might have. Get in touch using the contact form below.
If you would like to support or sponsor the work our group does to promote the performing arts in the Greater Wellington region, contributions to our Registered Charitable Organisation are eligible for tax credits.
Send Us a Message
Copyright © 2019 Wellington Gilbert and Sullivan Society Incorporated. All rights reserved.